See links for fliers and additional information below. If you are interested in any of the following please contact the respective provider directly.
- Coffee Talk & Learn and IEP Clinic
- 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- January 20, 2018
- Download the Coffee Talk & Learn Flyer
- Tuesday, January 16, 2018
- 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- American Job Center – 1505 Dillingham Blvd, Room # 110 – Honolulu, HI 96817 – (808) 768-5701
- Download the Employment Readiness Workshop Flyer
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is pleased to announce the launch of CDC’s Milestone Tracker — a free app for tracking every child’s development in a fun and easy way. This app adds to the popular suite of free, family-friendly materials available through CDC’s Learn the Signs. Act Early. program.
“Skills like taking a first step, saying those first words, and waving ‘bye-bye’ are developmental milestones all parents anticipate and celebrate,” said CDC Director Brenda Fitzgerald, M.D. “This CDC Milestone Tracker app gives parents tips to help their child learn and grow, a way to track developmental milestones, recognize delays, and the ability to share this information with their healthcare provider.”
The new app offers:
- Interactive milestone checklists for children ages 2 months through 5 years, illustrated with photos and videos
- Tips and activities to help children learn and grow
- Information on when to act early and talk with a doctor about developmental delays
- A personalized milestone summary that can be easily shared with the doctor and other care providers
- Reminders of appointments and developmental screening
Learn more and get information on downloading the app at CDC’s Milestone Tracker website or watch the short video below.
Although it is packed with parent-friendly features, this app isn’t just for parents! Healthcare providers can use it to help with developmental surveillance as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics, and early care and education providers, home visitors, and others can use it to better understand children’s skills and abilities and to engage families in monitoring developmental progress.
- Download the Parent Support Group Flyer
- Saturday, January 27, 2018
- Saturday, February 24
- Saturday, March 31
- Saturday, April 28
- Saturday, May 19
- 9:00 – 11:00 AM
- Where: Easter Seals Training Room – 3115 Akahi Street, Lihue
- January 24, 2018 from 6:00 – 7:30 PM
- Download the Ho’omana Kick-off Flyer
- January 21, 2018
- 2:30 – 5:30 PM
- Download the Empowering Parents and Building Families Flyer
- Register for Event
- If your preschool child is not attending a HeadStart or DOE funded preschool program, you may be eligible to apply for financial assistance.
- The POD program helps Hawaii families who qualify pay preschool fees for up to one year during the year prior to kindergarten entry. Priority enrollment goes to underserved or at-risk children whose families complete the POD Special Populations Referral form.
- Download the Preschool Open Door (POD) Application
- Download the Conversations, Connections and the Communication Matrix Flyer
- The Hawai’i & Pacific Deaf-Blind Project is excited to be hosting: Conversations, Connections and the Communication Matrix
Finding a way to communicate and connect with students with severe disabilities, including ASD and Deaf-Blind
presented by: Amy Parker
- Day one will focus on the Communication Matrix, what it is, how to use it and strategies with lots of examples!
- Day two will focus on using the Communication Matrix to design practical communication approaches for people with multiple disabilities.
- For a sneak peek and more information about the Communication Matrix check out https://communicationmatrix.org/
- To register, go to https://tinyurl.com/HPDBPcccmworkshop
This exciting workshop will be presented by Dr. Amy Parker, Ed.D. & COMS. Dr. Parker is an assistant professor and the coordinator of the Orientation and Mobility Program at Portland State University. Using participatory methodologies with community stakeholders, she has worked to design accessible multimedia learning modules for national technical assistance and personnel preparation. Her research interests include orientation and mobility for individuals with complex disabilities, communication interventions, participatory action research with people with disabilities and their families, and community-based partnerships to create social change.
- Download the MAC Plus Recreation Flyer
- Download the 2018 SPIN Registration PDF
- To download a registration form in PDF or Word Doc format at www.spinhawaii.org.
- Look for workshop themes and titles in the upcoming SPIN News, coming out later this month.
- Airfare Scholarships applications are now being accepted. They are limited and not guaranteed until confirmed by SPIN staff. They will be distributed evenly among islands with considerations for age of child and a balance of new conference attendees and past participants. Scholarships are provided to parents and/or family members who are caring for infants, toddlers and school-aged children with disabilities ages birth to 22 and currently receiving either Early Intervention services or special education and related services.
- Download the SPIN Airfare Scholarship Application
- Please submit your application to SPIN by February 9, 2018.
- Recipients of a scholarship award will be notified by SPIN on or before February 10, 2018 by phone or email.
- Must be PTA member, not specifically for children with disabilities but small groups, limited to 12 students.
- Download the Microsoft Store Flyer
Join us at Microsoft Store at Ala Moana Center between January 12th and January 14th where local youth will have the opportunity to create “I Have a Dream” inspired digital paintings. Participants and their families, along with the community, will be invited back on January 15th for our Community Celebration and art show. Selected participants will have the opportunity to have their artwork on display as well as explain what Dr. King’s Dream means to them.
Schedule of Events:
- Friday, 1/12 3:30 PM – 7:30 PM: MLK Dream Artwork – Fresh Paint
- Saturday, 1/13 3:30 PM – 7:30 PM: MLK Dream Artwork – Fresh Paint
- Sunday, 1/14 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM: MLK Dream Artwork – Fresh Paint
- Monday, 1/15 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM: MLK Day Community Reception